Re: Is Netscape Navigator really only for 16-bit color?

Chip Grandits <chipg@frii.com> writes:

> I've installed Netscape Communicator v4.05 on my bo system running
> Xwindows with the FVWM manager.  I don't have any Motif or Motif
> clones.  When I attempt to browse to a page which uses Java,
> Netscape just crashes immediately and goes away.  (No harm to
> anything else - as far as I can tell).  The one thing I turned up
> from my own research is to ensure that Moz_2.zip is in a particular
> directory ( I think /usr/local/netscape - whatever it said that's
> where it is on my system).  Does anyone know why it's going down?
> Do I need some additional Java Support Packages besides that which
> comes with Netscape?  Do I need another archive utility for
> moz_2.zip.  Is there a particular log file I can look at to get more
> info?

Tell me - how did you install netscape?  Did you install it with the
Debian netscape-installer package, or did you attempt to do your own
installation?  If you installed netscape without using the Debian
package, then try starting netscape up with:

MOZILLA_HOME=/usr/local/netscape netscape

(where instead of /usr/local/netscape, you would actually put in
whatever directory you used - you seem to indicate that you put
netscape in /usr/local/netscape which is why I used that dir.).

If this works for you, you may consider replacing the symbolic link
that's invoking netscape (you can find out where this link is with
"which netscape") with a little script that looks something like this:

#!/bin/sh
MOZILLA_HOME=/usr/local/netscape
export MOZILLA_HOME
exec /usr/local/netscape/netscape "$@"