Re: memory usage and Netscape

Mark Panzer wrote:

> Ed Cogburn wrote:
> >
> > Nelson Posse Lago wrote:

> > > Netscape for linux leaks memory like hell; you may want to install
> > > netscape using the debian installer package, it preloads (or used to,
> > > don't know if this is the case still) some libraries tha alleviate (but
> > > don't solve) the problem. There's not much more you can do about it. I
> > > *think* what really kills memory fast are animated gifs, since it
> > > actually "reloads" the gif indefinetely, so "ESC" should help also.
> > >
> > > See ya,
> > > Nelson
> > > lago@that.com.br
> > > That's Internet!
> > >
> > > "The future? I've seen the future: It's a 46 years old
> > > virgin singing 'I am a hotdog'" - From "Demolition Man"
> > >

> >         How can this be?  If NS ran out of memory after two hours of use it would
> > affect everybody.  Yet this is the first post concerning the problem, and in
> > all the time I've used NS on linux its only happened once (I was doing a lot
> > of stuff in the background at the time).  It may be related to the version
> > (professional/standalone) or maybe something else thats running at the same
> > time.
> The thing is the only way I seem to have enough free memory to run
> Netscape is to be the only person log-in an account and the only
> programs running are shown in myproc.txt which is attached.  Right now I
> have 12MBytes of RAM free and am not using the swap but wait maybe 20
> min. even if I don't do anything and it'll already be using about 20Meg
> of my swap.  That seems weird because I have my memory cache down to
> 100Kbytes and disk cache to 1Meg.
>
> Mark Panzer

	That does sound weird.  I have 32M ram + 70M swap, running 2.0.34 kernel,
using glibc version of NS v4.05 professional.  After logging in to X, I then
logged in to 2 other consoles and ran dselect and mc in them.  Its hard to
tell what's going on by the output of top, but at the beginning of this
session, top showed all mem in use but no swap.  After about an hour and a
half, including mail and browser activity, it has released ~1M of RAM but is
using ~8M of swap.  As soon as I end the apps in the consoles I get ~5M of
ram back (free), for a max change of 2 to 8 meg of used memory.  That isn't
much of a change, and seems reasonable given what I was doing.  I have
certainly never seen the kind of effects you are seeing (like using 20M of
swap).

--
Ed