Re: memory usage and Netscape

Nelson Posse Lago wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Mark Panzer wrote:
>
> > While running netscape ver 4.05 I commonly run out of memory after two
> > hours.  I have 32Mbytes of RAM and a 50Mbyte swap.
>
> Netscape for linux leaks memory like hell; you may want to install
> netscape using the debian installer package, it preloads (or used to,
> don't know if this is the case still) some libraries tha alleviate (but
> don't solve) the problem. There's not much more you can do about it. I
> *think* what really kills memory fast are animated gifs, since it
> actually "reloads" the gif indefinetely, so "ESC" should help also.
>
> See ya,
> Nelson
> lago@that.com.br
> That's Internet!
>
> "The future? I've seen the future: It's a 46 years old
> virgin singing 'I am a hotdog'" - From "Demolition Man"

	How can this be?  If NS ran out of memory after two hours of use it would
affect everybody.  Yet this is the first post concerning the problem, and in
all the time I've used NS on linux its only happened once (I was doing a lot
of stuff in the background at the time).  It may be related to the version
(professional/standalone) or maybe something else thats running at the same
time.

--
Ed