Re: Newbie Thinkpad question

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Paul Johnson wrote:

> I have two questions before I try to install Linux on my Thinkpad 755CD
>
> 1.  The ~680 Meg hard-disk is currently DoubleSpaced under Windows 95 to
> look like almost 1.2 Gig.  Is there any way I can re-partition it to have
> a dual boot, or do I need to just scrub it and install Linux (I don't
> mind too much if the later is the case).

I would suggest a scrub, but someone else might have a better idea...

> 2.  I have Linux on CD, but installation instructions refer to making a
> boot floppy or two.  On the Thinkpad, you can either have the CD
> installed or the floppy.  What's going to happen if I try to install from
> the CD and Linux tries to access (or asks for) the floppy?  What's the
> best way to handle this?

Once the floppies are used on bootup, I believe they are not needed again
(Makes a ramdisk). So you would boot with the floppy, and do that stuff,
then put CD drive in when it asks for it..

To make the floppies, copy the rawrite program, and the .bin files to your
Win95 drive, put in floppy drive, make floppies, reboot with boot floppy,
and repartition the HDD with the linux fdisk that is presented to you.

Oh, before you lose the whole DOS thing, try making some tecra boot
floppies too... I think the thinkpad needs them. (Instead of the standard
ones.) I dont know if they are on the CD, but they are available on the
FTP site.

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)