Re: How to download a free Linux?

On Sat, 20 Jun 1998, Hongshu Zhou wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam:
>
> I would like to know how can I download a free copy of your Linux
> software.  I tried to find a site to download or ftp the files.
> But I only saw different files/package names.  I seem can not locate
> a point from where I can download or ftp Linux software as a whole.
> Could you help me?

If you are installing on a 386 (or greater) CPU, go to ftp.debian.org in
the /pub/debian/dists/bo/disks-i386 directory and read install.bat or
install.html.  You will also need several disk images from that directory
which are to be copied to floppies using rawrite (also in that directory).

Install.txt will give you the step-by-step for making the floppies and
starting the installation process.  This will give you a very basic
system.  You can then add additional software packages by ftp or several
other methods using the dselect tool.

The above is for the stable 1.3.1 version of Debian.  Version 2.0 will be
released very soon.  If you want to install that version instead of 1.3.1,
go to /pub/debian/dists/frozen/main/disks-i386/current and follow the same
procedure as above.  Version 2.0 is still changing almost daily and
occasionally there will be a few problems with the installation.  A 1.3.1
version can be (fairly) easily upgraded to version 2.0, as well.

Further information can be found on the www.debian.org web site.

In addition to ftp.debian.org, there are a large number of mirror sites.
These are listed in README.mirrors in the /pub/Debian directory on
ftp.debian.org.

Version 1.3.1 is also available on CD-ROM quite inexpensively from
numerous vendors, such as www.cheapbytes.com, www.lsl.com,
www.linuxmall.com, etc.

I hope this helps you.

Bob