Re: How to download a free Linux?

To start, go to www.debian.org and read the installation section.  It
explains what the packages are for and how to install them.  It also
explains setting up a machine from scratch with no OS on it.  The basic
path is to grab a set of boot disks, install these to have a base system
and then use the network to install the packages from an ftp site.
Unless you have a fast connection it would be worth your time to buy a
CD.  cheapbytes.com and lsl.com both have extremely low priced Debian
CD's.  I paid four dollars US for mine.