Resume mode problem on laptop

Hi,

I am wanting to move to the 2.0.33 kernel on a toshiba laptop.  The resume
mode was working fine under the old 2.0.30 kernel - it was a custom made
kernel, compiled to include Advanced Power Management.

I have just compiled the 2.0.33 kernel, again so that apm is included.
But unfortunately resume modes seems not to work - everything freezes.

On booting I get the following message:

Starting PCMCIA services: modulesLinux PCMCIA Card Services 3.0.0
  kernel build: 2.0.33 unknown

So I don't know what is wrong here.  Also, do I somehow have to activate
apm (other than just compiling it into the kernel?)

Thanks,

Mark.