jdk-common_1.0.2-7.deb

I ran the command 'dpkg -i jdk-common_1.0.2-7.deb' to install the Java
libraries on my computer. The program succesfully installed I believe.  When
I typed 'java' on the command line I got the message 'bash> java: command
not found'.

Why doesn't this work?

When I go to 'usr/lib/jdk/' I find a 'classes.zip' file and an empty
'classes' directory.  I didn't try to unzip 'classes.zip' since I remember
from the jdk on windows that some files need to remain zipped to run
correctly.  However, shouldn't there be 'java.class' and 'javac.class' files
somewhere that are runnable?

Possibly the jdk needs to be added to the CLASSPATH for Bash to find the
file and this wasn't done automatically by dpkg. What file would this be in
Linux?  Possibly 'etc/profile'?

Could anyone that's previously installed this package help please.

The reason I'm installing the JDK is in order to run the Java IDE
FreeBuilder, downloaded from 'leb.net/pub/freebuilder/FreeBuilder.jar'.  Is
the above jdk the correct version?  From the numbers it appears to be
version 1.0.2, whereas I believe FreeBuilder requires jdk 1.1 or higher.  If
so this means I need to install the jdk from something other than a .deb
file, which I'm not sure how to do.  Is the correct procedure to unzip your
file then run 'install filename'?
If so, do I need to know the correct directories for everything to go in and
which configuration files to update? For jdk, what would this be?

Also, I noticed that FreeBuilder.jar has a .jar ending which I find odd.
The instructions say to just run 'java FreeBuilder.jar' but I don't see why
this should execute correctly.  (Not a .class file)

Continuing on with the neverending array of questions, I just installed XF86
on my machine.  It now starts when I type 'startx', but beyond that I have
no idea what it's supposed to do.  For instance I can't even change the font
size on the command prompt it displays.  (Presently much too small to be
useable)  Is there a config file I'm supposed to change to fix this?

Thinking what I need is a windows manager I installed 'afterstep_1.0-1.deb'.
When I type 'afterstep' on the command line I get 'afterstep: can't open
display'.  If I type it on the command line inside XF86 I get 'WM already
running'. Is afterstep supposed to replace XF86 or work in conjunction with
it? I actually have no idea what these programs are supposed to do.  There
must be more than this though.

On the advice of previous e-mails on this mailing list I would like to try
out the windows manager 'icewm', 'gnome', and 'gmc' (Which is actually
Midnight Cowboy?). However, I can't find .deb files for these programs.
Which leads us back to the previous question as to how to install software
that's not packaged as .deb files.

Two more questions concerning Linux commands.  I have been trying to make
the 'pon' command accessible when I log in as a user.  (It works fine when
log in as root)  I have succefully added  'theuser' to the 'dip' group in
'/etc/group'.
Apparently I also need to change the ownership of certain files/directories
from 'root' to 'dip'. A previous e-mail identified /etc/chatscript/,
/etc/chatscript/provider, and /etc/ppp/peers/provider.  'ls -l' gave me the
following ownership's for what I believe are the files/directory I need to
change on my system.

    d r w _ _ _ _ _ _ _    2  root  root   ppp  (directory)
    _ r w _ _ _ _ _ _ _    1  root  root   ppp.chatscript
    _ r w _ _ _ _ _ _ _    1  root  root   ppp.options_out

What command do I use to change the ownership of these files, not just the
permission level?  Are these the correct files/directory to change?

Also, previously I had erronously changed the dialin group with

                adduser  username  dialin

Is there a command to reverse this addition.  e.g. something like 'deluser'?

Thanks for any help someone can pass on.  I know there a lot of questions
here, but I don't know how else to solve these problems and I would be
overjoyed if I could actually get all this stuff running.

Dennis Dixon
P.O. Box 1896
Fort Bragg, CA  95437

(707) 964-2979