Re: staroffice

On Fri, Jun 19, 1998 at 11:59:53AM -0700, Brian Weiss wrote:
> > StarOffice 4 is commercial -- i.e. not free.  IMHO it's well worth the $100
> > since it's virtually a clone of MS Office.  It's a bit sluggish though.
> >
> > Jeff
>
> That's not correct. I downloaded the full software package from their site
> for absolutely nothing. It's not an evaluation copy and doesn't require
> you to register or spend money in any way. Try downloading it from their
> site and if you still have trouble getting it drop me an E-mail and I'll
> see what I can do.

If it's an evaluation copy, that means it's not free.  It's for sale
all over the place, and I remember reading a statement from the company
that the Linux version is no longer free -- although it may be possible
to download (and apparently is).

StarOffice 3 was just an experiment to test the viability of a Linux
port.  It was distributed under different terms.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.  I don't remember if this info
came from C.O.L.A. or Linux Journal.

Jeff