Re: The juggernaught expands?

On Fri, Jun 19, 1998 at 03:33:00PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 18, 1998 at 02:33:36PM -0400, sjc@delphi.com wrote:
> > LIKE Word...but please NOT word!
>
> Let's not get hysterical.
>
> > I mean really...its a word processor...nice to have but...come on...
> > they can't even keep it compatible with older versions of itself!
>
> What? Word 97 can read back to Word 2 and probably Word 1.1 for Windows,
> as well as Word 5 for DOS etc. Word 97 can write Word 95 format too if
> you get the service pack (95 writing support is a bit broken without it),
> and Word 2 too I think.

ahh yes...but..most people don't know about that. Here at work we have
Office95. We suuport Office95...people with Office97 are unsupported
until we offciqally upgrade. Often someone comes across a file that
they can not open because it is in the new format.

> > and just think of all the benefits of having word... Word Macro Viruses,
> > a completely asinine file format.
>
> Word warns you that the document contains macros before opening it and
> gives you the option of removing them.

Ahh does it? I think not. I have never seen it ask UNTIL I
open scanprot.dot and let it install its Macros into normal.dot.

and speaking of normal.dot...that is opne funky file anyway. I don't
know how many times I have seen someone with Word problems...no virus
found, but when I delete normal.dot (to force its re-creation) the problems
go away.

-Steve