Re: Startup files disappeared [Urgent!]

On Wed, Jun 17, 1998 at 03:31:07PM +0000, Jay Barbee wrote:

> I did not want it installed, I prefer the sym-links myself aswell.  All seems
> normal now that it is removed.  I guess I will know when it is time to reboot
> (hopefully in another 93 days <g>).

Somewhat unrelated, but worth noting in this context:

I had once my whole /etc directory disappear into lost+found. After booting
from a rescue disk and fixing about three files (passwd, login.defs and
something I don't remember), I was able to boot in single user mode and fix
the system.

What I want to say is, even if the symlinks would be missing, the system
would still be able to boot in single user mode (maybe with only partly
support for certain hardware/partitions etc).

Marcus