Re: Debian and Afterstep1.4.5.3-1

On Tue, Jun 16, 1998 at 11:15:01PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> dpk wrote:
> > I,... what are people switching to?  Any recommendations for a fast,
> > slick, and easily configurable wm?
>
> WindowMaker. As a bonus, it's similar to afterstep in look & feel.
>
> To be fair, the config file for wmaker hasn't quite settled down yet,
> either. But you can do a lot of config stuff interactivly.

You can supposedly do a lot of config stuff interactively with AS 1.4 as
well, all the look/feel changing...  In fact I could ONLY do it
interactively which sounds bad if you ask me.  I've figured out with wmaker
how to run programs which happen to be in the Debian menu (which generally
annoys me) and dock the running program's tile to dock or fiend.  Dock
appears to do nothing but be a place to dock things to.  Fiend does this
too, but it's not glued to a side and I can't get the window manager to move
it to an out of the way place.  Fiend either needs to become docked or
replace the dock icon or something if it's not going to annoy me
significantly.

Essentially, it doesn't feel right to me and it doesn't help that I have no
idea how to do anything I haven't described here with it.  The config files
looked more like a C program or a sh script than a file with settings and
the like.

I want easy to use.  Something I can set up the way I want and be able to
change as the rest of my system does quickly and easily.  It's hard enough
using X as it is with my vision (anyone got a cheap and big monitor by
chance?  heh)