Re: OpenLinux lite and Debian?

>> "SM" == Shanta McBain <smcbain@junction.net> writes:

SM> I just got a book "The Complete Reference Linux second edition" and it
SM> contains a cd. OpenLinux Lite is this disk compatible with the debian
SM> core that I have installed?

OpenLinux is a distribution IIRC. So you can't use dpkg to install the
files. Maybe it uses rpms, so you could try alien. But sure enough you
don't want to install stuff from it anyway.

You use the debian distribution. Why would you want to dump it for
OpenLinux.

SM> Do I have to install the OpenLinux to take advantage of the programs on
SM> the CD?

What programms are there? Are you sure, they aren't available as debian
packages as well?

If there are some commercial grade software on it, you could use alien to
transform it into a debian package. If there are examples from the book,
you could just gunzip/untar and read or use them.

Ciao,
	Martin