Re: 8 GB limit on cfdisk?

  YH> Torsten Hilbrich <Torsten.Hilbrich@gmx.net> writes:
  >> LBA is linear block addressing and means that the BIOS no longer
  >> use the ancient Cylinder/Sector/Head addressing scheme.  It does
  >> not harm large disks but it neccessary for using them as the
  >> older way of addressing is limited to 8GB, IIRC.

  YH> Thank you (you and Mr. Thomas Kocourek for replying mail),

  YH> So Mark's problem has not been solved yet, hasn't it?

Not yet.  Even though my BIOS is using LBA, and the kernel sees all
9.6 GB of my disk, the fdisk and cfdisk seem to use the C/H/S
settings.

I pulled out my hard disk and it said on the label:

C/H/S:  16383/16/63
LBA:    19,7xx,xxx  (I can't remember all the digits)

When I bring up (c)fdisk, it says:

C/H/S:  1023/255/63

I have read that someone (I think that it is the BIOS) will shift some
of the bits away from the Cylinders and onto the Heads field in a
workaround for the 10-bit limitation of the Cylinders field.  This is
okay, except that the proper "modified" C/H/S for my disk should be:

C/H/S:  1229/255/63

This IS what Partition Magic reports when I'm in Windoze 95.

So why is Linux fdisk and cfdisk truncating my disk to a C/H/S of
1023/255/63, which corresponds to 8 GB?

Only thing I can think of is to manually tell fdisk what my settings
are.  Any comments?

Mark Mabry
Avici Systems
mmabry@avici.com