Re: Learning C

On Wed, Jun 17, 1998 at 02:14:48AM +0100, M.C. Vernon wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> 	I guess I could probably RTFM, but there you are. I know basic C,
> and I'd like to get used to using libraries.

I have myself been refered to the libc documentation itself but...
Other than that I know of nothing thats helpful (well other than just
picking up source code and reading it)

All I can recommend is a couple of books. Since you already know C and
all...I would recommend "The ANSI C Programming Language" by K&R

It is a tiny little book...but has lots of info. I bought it because I saw
that K&R werw the authors...but I found it to be such a great reference and
usefull book.

> Debian (Linux, generally)

Well for Linux and Unix systems in generals...I highly recommend "Beginning
Programming in Linux" lots of info. Also I recently had "Advanced Programming
in the Unix Environment" recommended to me (the person said "Buy Beg or Steal
this book" ..well I bought it and its GREAT.

I know these are all tough on a tight budget but..they are indispensible
resources. I have never found online as much info as in these books. And
at least the last 2 books are so big and thick they are hard to misplace.

> being what it is, I'm pretty sure there are some packages in the devel
> section that will come with docs that tell me how to take my C further
> (I'd like ultimatly to do .debs :) ). Can someone point me in the right
> direction?

debs are easy :) Check out www.debian.org under "developer's corner"
just read the packaging manual, policy manuel et all...
all you need to know is in there. Making a deb is almost as easy as installing
one :), whhich leaves you to work on the meat...the technical details

-Steve

> Thanks for your patience,
>
> Matthew
>
> --
> Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo
>
> Steward-elect of the Cambridge Tolkien Society
> Selwyn College Computer Support
> http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Chamber/8841/
> http://www.cam.ac.uk/CambUniv/Societies/tolkien/
> http://pick.sel.cam.ac.uk/
>

> --

** Stephen Carpenter ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** sjc@delphi.com **
"Maturity is often more absurd than youth and very frequently is most
unjust to youth"
-- Thomas Edison