kde setup...

Hello all,

First, let me say that I am a total beginner...  I am having a
problem (I think) installing KDE (running hamm). I have installed all
deb packages - now what?

When I tried to run "kde" at the prompt in X, it spit forth messages
about unable to access sound card, etc... the next time I tried to
startx, it started, but no terminal - just background screen....

....So, I went to the "official" KDE ftp site to read the
installation  instructions, and it mentioned that you need the Qt
library (which I have only found in RPM version) and "libgr" (which I
can't find anywhere).

It also mentioned that I would need to edit the ".xinitrc" file and
replace the window manager with the kde setup program...

	- where is .xinitrc? I have found xinitrc (w/o .) - is this the same
file?

Thanks in advance!

Rich Hartman