Re: Xfree86 installation a.out/ELF

Psychotron wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>         Well, I decided to use Linux two months ago and as you may see, I'm quite
> still a layman on the subject. Anyway, I'm trying to find anyone who could
> help me installing and get running the Xfree86.
>         I downloaded the other day the files that would install xfree86 version
> 3.32 and folowing the instructions, I tried to run the preinstalation
> script but it had returned the following error message:
>
> >sh /var/tmp/preinst.sh
> /var/tmp/preinst.sh: file: command not found
>
> You appear to have an a.out system.
> a.out binaries are not available for
> this release
>
>         Ok, after some research, I found out that I needed another kind of
> binaries, ELF, but I also found out that my Debian version (1.3) was
> supposed to support those binaries. My question is, what do I need to get
> ELF's running on my computer? Were I supposed to install any especial
> packets during installation?
>         Anyone have the answers? Or anyone know were I could find it? or any other
> easier way of installing Xfree?? Everything that I want is to get that
> thing runnig, it doesn't matter how :)
>         Thanks for any support!!!
>
>         Psy

	This isn't exactly what you want to hear, but Xfree 3.2 is available for
hamm (Debian v2.0).  In the long run you are better off either waiting for
v2.0 to be officially released (and then upgrading) or upgrading now via
ftp.  Either way, you'll be able to upgrade your Xfree as well.  The Xfree
3.2 packages are in the hamm, v2.0, distribution.

--
Ed