Re: Please clarify...

On Tue, Jun 16, 1998 at 10:15:07AM -0700, Nick Moffitt wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> > Yes, but *there is no need for a re-install*! Debian has a great and
> > superior upgrading mechanism, and your system will update cleanly through
> > every version, even major version changes.
>
> 	I was told that there was a way to auto-upgrade.  That is, my
> debian system would mirror or sense an update on the net somehow, and then
> download all appropriate packages and install them.  Is this a myth, work
> in progress, or reality?

This is reality, often tested and works on many systems.

The script is called autoup.sh, and is available from Craig Sanders, but
also via Debian. I don't have an adress handy, please look at the
website/ftpsite/in the mailing list archives. If you don't find it, anybody
else knows?

Be sure to read the mini-HOWTO and take a look at the script, so that you
roughly understand what it is doing.

The alternative is to use apt. Nobody knows which of both works better.

Marcus