XF86Setup/Mouse Device

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone that responds to my inquiries.  I
find it amazing that so many people take the time to help out others less
knowledgable.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid I have more questions.  It seems every time I try
to do something, it generates more problems.

1) I have succesfully installed XFree86 and am now attempting to run the
XF86Setup routine. In trying to get the mouse to work it appears to me all I
should have to do is select one of the 'devices'  and hit 'apply'. However,
I tried all possible device options and none got a response from the mouse.
(The mouse says Microsoft right on it, so I assume 'Microsoft' is the
correct protocol.  I tried different protocols with the 'inbortbm' device
and still got nothing.)

The real problem is I don't understand how 'devices' work.  I found a
'MAKEDEV' command, but I'm not sure what this does. Is there a command to
query the contents of '/dev/smouse', etc.?  Plus, if I run a command like
'MAKEDEV' it would obviously create a new file in '/dev', but how would it
know to hook up to the mouse port on the machine?

2) I have several other miscellaneous questions, although not necessary,
would make my life a lot easier.  When I go to '/var/log/messages' ( or any
log file for that matter) I get a huge file.  Does this file clear
automatically somehow eventually or does it just keep growing forever? There
must be a command to clear log files.

3) The 'find','locate', and 'dpkg -search' commands would be great if I
could get them to work.  Logged in as 'root' if I type 'find  <filename>'
from any directory it should find that file anywhere in the system?
However, it doesn't do this for me.  Am I doing something wrong?

4) The last questions is a repeat from a previous post.  I am trying to make
it so a 'user' can run 'pon'.  ('pon' currently runs fine when logged in as
'root')
A response from Martin Bialasinski suggested that I use the following command:

                adduser  theuser dialout

Although this command ran fine and added 'theuser' to the dialout group,
when logged in as theuser I still couldn't use the 'pon' command.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Dennis Dixon
P.O. Box 1896
Fort Bragg, CA  95437