Re: XF86Setup/Mouse Device

Dennis Dixon <dixon@dixonadvise.com> writes:

> 1) I have succesfully installed XFree86 and am now attempting to run the
> XF86Setup routine. In trying to get the mouse to work it appears to me all I
> should have to do is select one of the 'devices'  and hit 'apply'. However,
> I tried all possible device options and none got a response from the mouse.
> (The mouse says Microsoft right on it, so I assume 'Microsoft' is the
> correct protocol.  I tried different protocols with the 'inbortbm' device
> and still got nothing.)

I'm a newbie too but I just solved this problem.

My mouse also is the ``Microsoft'' brand but is a ``PS/2'' type
mouse; check your mouse/motherboard manuals.  Also, when I
selected the correct configuration (see following excerpt from my
/etc/X11/XConfig) XF86Setup STILL didn't show any response from
the mouse.  My guess is that poking around with all the wrong
settings screwed things up. . . ?

# **********************************************************************
# Pointer section

Section "Pointer"
    Protocol    "PS/2"
    Device      "/dev/psmouse"

Hope this helps.
Jimmer.

--
Jimmer ENDRES   jbeST2+@pitt.edu   http://www.pitt.edu/~jbest2/
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Pittsburgh USA