Help, I've messed up my system

Err, this is embarassing.....

I had a perfectly working 2.0 system, but because I have now opened a
second ISP account with Demon I decided to have a look for scripts on
the Demon ftp site. I duly found a package for Slackware, and decided
to unzip and untar it to see what scripts it contained which might
helpas a guide to setting up my second ppp/pap connection via Demon.
By mistake (cringe...) I managed to copy the files to my (Debian 2.0)
system and the copies overwrote my Debian files. I have managed to
sort out a lot of the resulting Debian-Slackware hybrid mess, but a
couple of things I can't find out how to rectify:

1) I can log in as root o.k. (using 2.0.33 boot disk) but some
commands only work if I do additionally su, and some don't work at
all. If I try to do man pppd, for example, I get "libdb2.so.2 :
permission denied". If I do updatedb then locate works fine, but after
the next reboot the db has vanished again.

2) If I try to log in as user account atheris I get a column of
1000.1000 instead of atheris.atheris (although if I do ls -la
/home/atheris from root, then atheris.atheris appears). Also, bash
does not read the local .bashrc/..bash_profile but instead tells me
"/etc/profile : permission denied". In the case of my wife's account I
get the same and 1001.1001 instead of katya.katya. In neither case can
I run any commands. /etc/profile is there, wr - r -r , but bash will
not read it.

Anyone know how to fix this self-inflicted grief? Obviously somewhere
Slackware has altered permissions or some other things, but after two
days of scouring the system I still can't find where.

TIA

Adrian Monk