Re: X-windows on a Valuepoint

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, Alain Toussaint wrote:

> check that your /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers look like this:
>
> # /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers

[snip comments in /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers]

> :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X
>
> the last line is particularly important,also,check the location of X,it
> may be different on your system (i'm using the latest unstable version,but
> i don't think it will be much different on your system).

As far as I know, the place for the X server is always /usr/X11R6/bin/X if
you have Debian 1.2 or newer (I don't know the older versions).

> p.s.also notice that there are 2 Xserver(s) file Xserver (found in
> /etc/X11/) and Xservers (found in /etc/X11/xdm/) it's the later that you
> want.

Yes, but it is important to check what's in /etc/X11/Xserver. This file
specifies which X server you want to run. It should look something like
this:

----cut-here----
/usr/bin/X11/XF86_S3
Console

The first line in this file is the full pathname of the default X server.
The second line shows who is allowed to run the X server:
RootOnly
Console      (anyone whose controlling tty is on the console)
Anybody
----cut-here----

Remco