Re: Re[6]: pop3 mail problem

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Steve Lamb wrote:

: On Wed, 10 Jun 1998 09:15:42 -0500 (CDT), Nathan E Norman wrote:
:
: >:     None at all.  It is a general Linux question which really isn't
: >: specific to Debian at all.
:
: >Not to hack on you for "not reading the thread", but had you done so you
: >might have noticed that Miquel van Smoorenburg not only maintains
: >qpopper for Debian, but he also implements bugfixes.  However, many of
: >those bugfixes do not make it upstream to Qualcomm since they have
: >chosen to make future versions of qpopper non-free.  (FWIW I support
: >Mike on this attitude).
:
:     Yes, that was in reply when I mentioned the bug.  My reply was, and this
: will be the third time I have said this in this thread, when I found the bug
: I was not using Debian so, obviously, I had no desire, inclination or
: knowledge of reporting such a bug to the Debian maintainer of the package.
:
:     That is not a hard concept to grasp.

Nope, it's not.  You might notice that I wasn't arguing this point,
either.

: >This _does_ mean that qpopper vs. cucipop (or any other popper) is
: >relevant to debian, and is not a general Linux question.
:
:     Untrue in this context.

Hmm.  Just because you say so makes it so?  This is a Debian list.  The
person who asked the question uses Debian.  You responded with
complaints about the non-Debian version of qpopper.  As several people
have attempted to point out to you, the Debian qpopper != generic
qpopper available from Qualcomm, sunsite, etc.

I do not feel this is a difficult concept to grasp.

: >As you become more familiar with Debian you will notice that quality
: >isn't just a buzzword around here, it's the way things are done (most of
: >the time, anyway).  I'm continually impressed by the quality and
: >usability of Debian packages vs. the same software running on different
: >distributions or Operating Systems.
:
:     Quality is always a buzzword.  Debian is one of the nicer distributions
: I've run across, but, as with any distribution there are problems with it.
: Took me less than an hour to get X running under Slack from the tarballs.  I
: still can't get X to run under Debian because I'm not quite sure what .debs
: to get and using the XF86Config from my working Slack isntall.  I'm finding
: that the directions in the non-dev installs are sparse, sometimes not
: including the man pages.  And then someone tells me that man is broken yet I
: have the latest version.
:
:     There are always problems, so please don't get onto the high horse of
: "Quality" when it comes to Debian, just makes it a better target.

I wasn't yet on a "high horse" though I'm about to go looking for one.
Then again, from reading the thread it has become clear to me that you
aren't very adept at carrying on civil discourse.

Configuring X under Debian 1.3 was fairly easy, I thought.  Sorry to
hear you're having problems.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104