Re: Re[6]: pop3 mail problem

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998 09:15:42 -0500 (CDT), Nathan E Norman wrote:

>:     None at all.  It is a general Linux question which really isn't
>: specific to Debian at all.

>Not to hack on you for "not reading the thread", but had you done so you
>might have noticed that Miquel van Smoorenburg not only maintains
>qpopper for Debian, but he also implements bugfixes.  However, many of
>those bugfixes do not make it upstream to Qualcomm since they have
>chosen to make future versions of qpopper non-free.  (FWIW I support
>Mike on this attitude).

    Yes, that was in reply when I mentioned the bug.  My reply was, and this
will be the third time I have said this in this thread, when I found the bug
I was not using Debian so, obviously, I had no desire, inclination or
knowledge of reporting such a bug to the Debian maintainer of the package.

    That is not a hard concept to grasp.

>This _does_ mean that qpopper vs. cucipop (or any other popper) is
>relevant to debian, and is not a general Linux question.

    Untrue in this context.

>As you become more familiar with Debian you will notice that quality
>isn't just a buzzword around here, it's the way things are done (most of
>the time, anyway).  I'm continually impressed by the quality and
>usability of Debian packages vs. the same software running on different
>distributions or Operating Systems.

    Quality is always a buzzword.  Debian is one of the nicer distributions
I've run across, but, as with any distribution there are problems with it.
Took me less than an hour to get X running under Slack from the tarballs.  I
still can't get X to run under Debian because I'm not quite sure what .debs
to get and using the XF86Config from my working Slack isntall.  I'm finding
that the directions in the non-dev installs are sparse, sometimes not
including the man pages.  And then someone tells me that man is broken yet I
have the latest version.

    There are always problems, so please don't get onto the high horse of
"Quality" when it comes to Debian, just makes it a better target.

>--
>Nathan Norman
>MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104
>mailto://finn@midco.net   http://www.midco.net
>finger finn@kepler.midco.net for PGP Key: (0xA33B86E9)
>

>--

             Steve C. Lamb             | Opinions expressed by me are not my
    http://www.calweb.com/~morpheus    | employer's.  They hired me for my
             ICQ: 5107343              | skills and labor, not my opinions!