Re: Multiple IP numbers, one for each Subnet

On Tue, 9 Jun 1998, Ian Stuart wrote:

> I'm using a i386 portable with 2.0.34 installed.  I have a requirement to
> plug this machine into various subnets, depending on where I'm working
> within my organisation.
>
> Is there a way to configure the system so that I can use
> (a) 4 or 5 different gateways (only one of which will be reachable at one
> time) and
> (b) 4 or 5 IP numbers, only one of which will be valid at any one time?

There are very few files that actually contain IP numbers, viz.
/etc/resolv.conf, /etc/hosts, /etc/networks and /etc/init.d/network and
the first of these would probably stay the same as we're talking subnets.

So all you need is a few scripts hacked from the last, that delete the two
(network and gateway) routes, ifconfig the new number, and add the two new
routes. They could meanwhile overwrite the middle two files as well.

ifconfig and route commands are totally dynamic; I don't think daemons
etc. should hold onto any of this information. (I don't have a clue what
reads /etc/networks though I suppose you could use it yourself to delete
the appropriate -net route.)

Cheers,