Re: Printer (port) Problems

On Tue, Jun 09, 1998 at 06:38:48PM -0700, Mark Yobb wrote:

>         Anyway, I used "modprobe -a" and loaded all modules.

Maybe not the best idea. Try "modconf".

> I then got a stepped text output from my printer after issuing the command "lpr
> textfile".  This is good.  I am getting somewhere.

Yeah, the hardware side is working.

> I then considered
> configuring my printcap whatever thingy so it would format correctly buy
> instead I install HP filters (which includes magicfilter).  It then said
> that it could not reach printer at lp@debain.homebase.  Man am I (^*^%&^%*(&^.

Dump your printcap file. Purge and reinstall magicfilter. Don't install
anything else for now. It then should work out of the box.

BTW: Can you do "telnet debain.homebase" (and why is debian miss-spelled?)
What is your hostname, what your domainname. What do you have in /etc/hosts
et al.?

>         What I really need to know is how to configure a Kernel.  What
> directory should I be in when I "make config".  I am using bo 1.3.1.  I
> loaded the Kernel source (Kernel 2.0.32) and then I typed make config in the
> /usr/src directory and the thing said "*** No rule to make target config'.
> Stop."

# cd /usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.32
# make config
# make-kpkg clean
# make-kpkg --revision custom.1.0 kernel_image
# cd ..
# dpkg -i kernel-<please fill in complete name>.deb

Reboot. Done.

Marcus