Cannot make _bootable_ Debian CD's

Hi, everybody!

	I am recording CD-R's with Debian 1.3.1R8, and i cannot make them
so that they boot <El Torito extensions>. I have digested a lot of
literature about the art of making CD-R's, but i cannot make it work.

	I use 'debian-cd' (v 1.0) scripts to make it (corrected, since
there were some incorrect usage of variables, but minor changes, anyway).

	When i make the iso image file with mkisofs (v 1.11-1), he tells
me everything is working all-right, including the size of the 1440 KB
bootable floppy image.

	I execute 'test_cd' script over the CD image, with no reading
errors.

	Once DOS is loaded, it boots without problem just typing
'boot[.bat]' at the command line (and pressing 'intro':-).

	The bootable floppy image file, resc1440.bin, when copied to a
real floppy, boots the system without any problem.

	The system boots with other CD-ROM's (Debian, RedHat), even with a
CD-R copied from a bootable Debian CD (copied with my CD recorder, an HP
7200i rev. 3.01 IDE), so I assume the problem is not with my CD recording
utility, 'cdrecord', but with 'mkisofs', or a bad usage of the last one.

	mkisofs creates 'boot/boot.catalog', and it seems ok.

	Is there any way to know if a CD-ROM has 'El Torito' extensions
other than trying to boot it? 'cdrecord -toc' shows no information about
it.

	I didn't upgrade my mkisofs because the exclusion options now work
differently (w/ regular expressions), and so the scripts wouldn't work.

	I have modified consistently the image files, to include kernel
version 2.0.34, substituting the previous kernel and modules in every file
of the bo/disks/199x-xx-xx directory (no deletion of these files, just
created a copy of the directory and re-made 'current' to point the new
directory with the edited images).

	The kernel was compiled with the same options as
kernel-source-2.0.33_2.0.33-3.deb, when possible, since some have gone and
some have appeared with the new kernel patch. Build info: make bzImage

	Here goes a copy of the .mkisofsrc created by the scripts:

APPI=Debian GNU/Linux 1.3.1
COPY=Copyrighted by SPI and others.
ABST=README.txt
PREP="Manuel Estrada <ranty@soon.com>"
PUBL="Pancho Horrillo <pancho@mindless.com>"
SYSI=GNU/Linux
VOLI=Debian 1.3.1 Binary

	Can any of these characters be a problem?: @,<,>,",/

	Perhaps it's a silly question, but i am completely out-of-ideas.

	Sorry for beeing so exhaustive, but if any can help me, what i
tell can be perhaps important to decypher where the problem is.

	Thank you very much for your support.

(Please, respond to 'pancho@jet.es', since i am not currently subscribed
to debian-user, due to several problems with my POP server:(

--
Pancho Horrillo
pancho@jet.es