pop3 mail problem

I just upgraded my system with the latest pop3 server qpopper from the
debian site. I am now getting errors when ever anyone tries to log on and
get there mail.

Mail client returns this:

ERR maillock: '/var/spool/pop/username.pop'

/var/log/messages returns this error:

Jun  9 12:53:25 www in.qpopper[26900]: randy@ws2.deltastar.nb.ca: -ERR
maillock: '/var/spool/pop/randy.pop'

/var/log/daemon.log returns:

Jun  9 12:53:25 www in.qpopper[26900]: connect from ws2.deltastar.nb.ca

I used dftp to update my existing system and it also added shadow passwds
to the system. I checked the qpopper docs dir and there is mention of
allow.pop and deny.pop which neither file has been setup in /etc but it
also stated if they weren't there it would run without them.

Any ideas on what could be wrong?