Re: pop3 mail problem

Thus spake Brian Freeze <freezeb@www.deltastar.nb.ca> :
> I just upgraded my system with the latest pop3 server qpopper from the
> debian site. I am now getting errors when ever anyone tries to log on
> and
> get there mail.
>
> Mail client returns this:
>
> ERR maillock: '/var/spool/pop/username.pop'
>
> /var/log/messages returns this error:
>
> Jun  9 12:53:25 www in.qpopper[26900]: randy@ws2.deltastar.nb.ca: -ERR
> maillock: '/var/spool/pop/randy.pop'
>
> /var/log/daemon.log returns:
>
> Jun  9 12:53:25 www in.qpopper[26900]: connect from
> ws2.deltastar.nb.ca
>
> I used dftp to update my existing system and it also added shadow
> passwds
> to the system. I checked the qpopper docs dir and there is mention of
> allow.pop and deny.pop which neither file has been setup in /etc but
> it
> also stated if they weren't there it would run without them.
>
> Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Brian,

I ran into a similar problem a few months back when migrating from one
machine to another. It turned out the problem was permissions on the
/var/spool/mail folder. I had not set the sticky bit and it was
rejecting everyones attempt to check mail. This may not be the situation
for you, but it worked out for me.

Good luck.

Michael