Linux is user friendly, I'm just not one of its friends

hrrm. well I supose all of you are upgradeing to Hamm, and may have
faced a similer problem( probably not as drastic) but anyways I need
some help getting my system back up and operational.

Like a good debian user, I used the auto update script to get me up to
libc6 etc. and ran into a couple problems wich I worked out with
ducktape (typical Linux users fassion.) and then startd upgradeing with
Dselect. Everything went fine (or so it seemed) I let it go overnight
downloading the files, selected and tried to install. Hidy Ho.. say
hello to mister murphy. The install exitec with Error 1. no matter what,
thats what it did. Well I should have been happy here, libc6 is what I
wanted etc. but no.. I had to go on. So I used dselect and told it my
second hd was a mounted internet sight and used scan to find all the
packeges. This seemed to go fine. this time it began to install. I went
out for a hour and came back noticing that there were errors popping up
here and there.. little things. SO IU let it go. when Finished likea
good debian user I did shutdown -r now. Funney thing. the damn thing
didn't turn off. it just Gave me liek I had typed shutdown now. so I
flipped the damn thing off and back on again. It came up, and the errors
started. My ifconfig gave me mucho errors (thsi will apear again loyal
reader) it couldn't find proc and all my settings were shot to hell. (I
had told it to keep all my old settings too) now I tryed to login, but
no.. senior murphy is there with the stop sign, it couldn't open my tty
for a login session. ho hum.

Since i was getting a new mechine anyways I decided to practice a flat
to Hamm installation. SO I grabed my installation disk, went  through
installation, put in all the correct things (loaded my Eathernet card
into the kernel etc.)  and made linux the defauilt boot with lilo. SO
far no murphy factor. Then I rebooted and got a lot of the same errors
(concerning ifconfig and route) they are below:

SIOCSIFNETMASK: Invalid Argument
SIOCADDRT: Network un-avalbel
SIOCADDRT: Network un-avalbel

I never got this before, even on my first time installing Debian (about
a year ago) I got my Network up (even on slak about a 1 1/2 ago).  here
is my /etc/init.d/network

#! /bin/sh
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -net 127.0.0.0
IPADDR=146.115.107.117
NETMASK=146.115.107.0
NETWORK=146.115.107.0
BROADCAST=255.255.255.240
GATEWAY=146.115.107.113
ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}
route add -net ${NETWORK}
[ "${GATEWAY}" ] && route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1

a little help would be nice, specific questions answerd freely, etc.
Also if anyone happens to feel the needto burn out a copy of hamm... I
belive some of us / I would be willing to pay for it + s/h.

Thanks.

J. Steinbrecher
(sorry for hte long message)