Re: Xwindow from win95?

>How can I connect MI/X from Win95 to my linux box? In the FAQ MI/X
>provided it says telnet to linux box and change the display environment.

Right.  The DISPLAY variable is used by X applications to determine what
display to get i/o from.  Here's my two scenarios:

1. Using M/IX's "local" window manager

     On Win32 machine, run TNTSTART.EXE
     On Linux machine (locally or via telnet, doesn't matter), run this
script

          #!/bin/bash
          #    (replace xx.xx.xx.xx with the Win32 machine's IP address, or
name if DNS or HOSTS is working)
          export DISPLAY=xx.xx.xx.xx:0.0
          #     (now fire up X apps that you want running on Win32 screen)
          xterm &
          xclock &

2.  Using another window manager

     On Win32 machine, run XS.EXE
     On Linux machine, run a (quite similar) script:

          #!/bin/bash
          export DISPLAY=xx.xx.xx.xx:0.0
          xterm &
          xclock &
          fvwm &

     Some window managers don't like this (I haven't gotten icewm working
this way yet), and you come up with some funky issues concerning fonts with
some applications, but by and large it's a nice solution, especially for
free.

Jim Russell
Nutley NJ