Re: Compiling a kernel

On Sat, 6 Jun 1998, Bob Nielsen wrote:

> kernel-package does this, including putting System.map-<kernelversion> in
> /boot.  It also gives you an option for creating a boot-floppy with the
> new kernel.
>
> What does system.map do?  I've compiled kernels before without
> kernel-package and never had problems.  Likewise, what about boot.xxxx,
> boot.b, etc.?

Apparently it has something to do with kernel profiling and debugging etc.
It is not necessary for normal use. I almost never compile the kernel
using the .deb wrapper. It just seems like too much and what if I miss a
step? I just go ahead and compile  it like on any Linux system.
Daniel J. Mashao
Electrical Engineering                daniel@comgate.ee.uct.ac.za
University of Cape Town	       	    http://www.ee.uct.ac.za/~daniel
Rondebosch, 7700, S. Africa    (w) 27+21+650 2816   (h) 27+21+705 1233