Re: /dev/sga and /dev/dsp no longer accessable

Matt Thompson wrote:

> > Matt Thompson wrote:

> > > <snip>

> > > Man, do I feel like a dork!  I did a ls -l on the two /dev's and they're
> > > there, but for some reason the permissions have changed.  Root is able to
> > > open them just fine.  *sigh*  I guess I still don't research things as
> > > well as I should before posting to the list.
> > >
> > > Thanks loads for the help, Ed :)
> > > Matt
> > >

> >       Don't feel bad; file permissions problems end up biting everybody.  I've
> > had numerous problems with getting PPP connections to work because of file
> > permissions that get changed between updates to pppd.  It's part of the
> > Linux learning process.  <sigh>
> >

> > --
> > Ed
> >
> IMHO, that's one of the things that will keep Linux from wide-spread
> acceptance.  I wonder if that sort of thing will ever get better?
>
> I hope so...
>
> Thanks again,
> Matt

	Linux is more complicated/sophisticated than DOS/Win.  It will never be
accepted (in its current form) as a mainstream OS not because its Linux, but
because its Unix, i.e. Unix has never been known as a mainstream,
user-friendly OS.
	On the other hand, keep in mind that the feature we are talking about (file
permissions) is related to Unix's multi-user personality and is something
which DOS/Win doesn't even have.
	There are things that will improve the situation too.  I'm eagerly awaiting
a stable GNOME implementation, plus a good GNOME-aware window manager.

--
Ed