Re: Q: Second Ethernet Card

>> I am planing on purchasing a 256k DSL to my Linux server.
>> I currently have one Ehternet card that is connected to
>> my home PC with a crossover cable.  I will need to purchase
>> an additional Ethernet card for my Server to connect to the
>> DSL connection.
>>
>> Should I purchase the cable and then completely rebuild the
>> server from the ground up with the two Ethernet cards, or just
>> place the second one in and go from there?  If I just place
>> the second one in, what will have to be done to get it online?

 Just put the second card and configure it. It has couple pitholes,
 but is not that hard. If the DSL line endst to a RJ45 connector,
 the ger a Intel EtherExpress card and be happy. There are a
 few HOWTOS in you know where :)

>> BTW - As I get ready to place my server on the net with DSL,
>> I was planning to setup Sendmail for email, Apache as my
>> Web Server and TIC as my Firewall (to protect my home PC
>> on the other Ethernet card).  Does this look OK?  or is there
>> something else I should do?

 In my experience Exim is easier and more secure and ..... etc.
 I've been using it for some 5-6 months now, without problems.
 The hamm version is pretty good. Apache sounds good, but
 I have now experience, same with firewalls. Just about the
 time to learn :)

	--j