cgi-bin scripts for ppp dial-up

hi, I wonder whether any body can help. i am trying to get my system (halve
bo, halve hamm) to dial-up the internet. yes it works, but only by running
pon as root. i want to have a cgi-script so that all my users on win95 boxes
can dial-up (this box does ip masq). how?

i have the scrips, basically they say connecting, and run pon. no joy, pon
can not find pppd cause it is in /usr/sbin/ and they are running with a uid
and gid of www-data. the scripts are owned by root.root so i make them
setuid, no joy there say error. i don't understand why my setuid did not
work? do you? i tried adding www-data to the dip and dialout groups, again
no joy :-( i changed the line in the cgi to /usr/sbin/pppd and it found pppd
but pppd did not have read access to /etc/ppp/peers/provide because it was
running as www-data. what is the correct way of doing this? why was setuid
not working why did adding www-data to /etc/group on dialout and dip not
work? please help. what is the correct way of doing this?

--
Edward Betts  http://www.hairnet.demon.co.uk/