notebook installation

I got an old Compaq LTE lite 4/33 on to which I want to load debian.  I do not
 have a cd rom but will be borrowing a friends external.  I tried starting the
 installation with the rescue disk I have from my desktop installation and it
is not booting correctly
  It just says 'loading root.bin ...boot failed
I do not know very very much about notebooks, perhaps the hardware is named
 differntly.
If someone could advise me on how to do an installation on this notebook I would appreciate it.
Perhaps once I get it booted I could install via ftp through a null modem.  Any
way any help is appreciated.  Thnks