Re: cat's got my lp1

On Wed, Jun 03, 1998 at 03:52:12PM -0400, <click_here> wrote:
> The only way I can print is with cat <filename>  > /dev/lp1
> If I use anything other, I get:
> Unrecoverable error: rangecheck in .setdevice
> Operand stack:
> 	--nostringval--
> followed by lots of hex addresses, offsets, names, permissions and more hex
> addresses. (I think they are addressses)

It's a good idea to list the packages you are using
(lpr/lprng/magicfilter/apsfilter).  This error is actually from ghostscript.
Ghostscript takes a postscript file and translates it into a different
format (HP deskjet/epson/X-windows/...).

Try configuring the printer (apsconfig?/magicfilterconfig).  Then try "lpr
file" on a normal text file. Then try more complex files - such as a
compressed file.  The way to print things on unix is to convert them into
postscript and then print the postscript out.  If you don't have a
postscript printer, then you use ghostscript in the middle.

The contents of /etc/printcap and what printer you are using would be
helpful too.

> I recently chmod / -R 777 my system to try and cure a permission problem I
> was having, I know - major stupid, This might be the problem.

I think I'd do a reinstall after this - I doubt that it will introduce
permission problems, but security will be .. lacking.

> My delema is not knowing how to reverse the 777 stuff, or where to fix the
> lpd.

I'd give up on the first on I think :-(

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@zetnet.co.uk, http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing.   PGP key available on public key servers
Debian Linux  http://www.debian.org  The superior Linux distribution