tar & exclude options

Grr.  grrr.  and rg.

I'm trying to create tar files less than 100Mb to fit on zip disks (by the
way, my rebate arrived last week, only a year and a half & a class action suit
late).

As I read the man page and info page,

tar -zcv -f hawktar980603 . -X News -X www -X Office40

should tar the local directory to the new file hawktar980603 save for the
directories News, www, and Office40

however, it cheerfully includes all of these.  I get the same results with an
--exclude-from exfiles, where exfiles lists these?  am I missing somethign?

rick

--
These opinions will not be those of ISU until it pays my retainer.