PCMCIA problems for Thinkpad

I tried to setup a Debian on a ZIP disk connected to an IBM Thinkpad 750 with
a PCMCIA ethernet credit card adapter.  I have installed the latest PCMCIA cs,
and modules (2.0.29) DEB packages.

The card manager detects both the 14.4k modem and Ethernet card, but the
module 8390 has a slew of problems loading (unresolved symbol I believe was
the error, but I don't have the specific list of errors), and then when pcnet_cs
modules loads it errors out due to the 8390 modules error.

I went back and loaded net/8390.o (instead of pcmcia/8390.o) and I did not get
an error and the module loaded okay, but when I loaded pcnet_cs I still had two
unresolved symbol errors and that module did not load.

I cannot continue my install untill I can mount my CD (via NFS).  Everything
seems to work except these two modules.  I even get the network link light
now, but I cannot bind it to any protocol.... arrrrgh!

Help!

--Jay