lpd daemon dies every job

hmm.  A couple of weeks ago, it was suggested that my printing problem could
be from the lpd daemon dying.  SUre enough, this is the problem.

Now it appears that it dies/hangs each time it successfully prints.

I'm printing to an HP 5j or so on the same subnet.  I still haven't figured
out how to get regualr text to print, which is startng to be an issue--until
now, everything was postscript anyway.

Is there a common explanation?  I forget why I gave up on lprng, but I think I
was trying to connect to university print spools back then.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

rick

--
These opinions will not be those of ISU until it pays my retainer.