Re: Setting up initrd / Using a RAM Disk (Is there a (good) alternative?) to make a jaz the root fs with a PCMCIA scsi adapter

The thing is, I don't think just loading the modules is good enough. If that were
the case you could simply compile the modules into the kernel. The problem is
that there's a user-level program which deals with setting up pcmcia devices. Now
you have a catch-22 because you can't load a user-level program until the kernel
has booted and a root filesystem has been mounted. You're going to need a root
filesystem somewhere else unfortunately. If you can't create a small partition on
your internal HD in the laptop you could create a filesystem on a floppy (not
very attractive) or use UMSDOS or something like that. Using a ram disk would
also work but this is much more troublesome because any time you do anything to
this filesystem you'll have to recreate the ram disk image (not fun).

Asher Haig wrote:

> I want to use a jaz disk as my root fs. The problem that I'm running into
> is that I need to use a pcmcia scsi adapter -- and pcmcia services are
> loaded off the hd. I need to repartition the HD, so of course I can't be
> using that as a root fs.
>
> It seems from what I'm reading in teh docs that I can use initrd to load
> those pcmcia modules and then mount /dev/sda1 as the root fs. How do I go
> about doing this? I'm lost as far as how to set up initrd and how to make
> it use /dev/sda1 after that.
>
> Please! Help! I desperately need to repartition and I can't figure out
> where to start.

>    | Asher Haig        ahaig@warped-reality.com |
>    | Pager/Voice Mail              (972) 328-9247 |

Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com