troubles after upgrading to 1.3.1r8

Hello all,

I have great deals troubles after upgrading to 1.3.1r8. I wish I would
never do it.
First I have troubles sending email using through. When I try to send it,
it gives me the error.

[Error sending: 421 SMTP connection went away!]

Another problem is that I have troubles download email from my ISP using
fetchmail, it gives me the error

fetchmail: POP3> QUIT
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Pop server at pisces.hkstar.com signing off.
fetchmail: normal termination, status 0

I try the command to test my email connection 'telnet localhost 25',
but it gives me the error:

Trying 127.0.0.1...  telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection
refused

However, I have '127.0.0.1      localhost' entry in my /etc/hosts file.
Please remember that I have no problems before upgrading. Please give me
any help.

Many Thanks in advance.

Anthony