adding users via scripts

We are in the process of moving users from a BSDi box to a Linux box.
BSDi has an adduser script which accepts encrypted passwords.  The
Debian adduser script does not.  From reading through the code for each,
it seems that BSDi's adduser script manipulates the password file
directly.  ( I'm not a Perl guru, btw :)

So, I'm wondering if anyone knows of or has developed an adduser type
script for Linux that will accept encrypted passwords on the comamnd
line.  I don't feel up todeveloping this myself, though I'll give it a
try if I have to.  In the short term, I'd probably add the users with
one script and change the entries in /etc/shadow with another.

Searching for ideas, advice, etc.  Thanks.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104