Re: How to create device for tape backup

>    I just acquired an IDE tape backup and I believe that this uses ht0
> for a device.  I've recompiled my kernel, and the kernel recognizes
> the device at boot and I have a ht0 listed in /proc/devices, but I
> don't have any sort of /dev/ht0 entry to use the device with.

cd /dev
./MAKEDEV ht0

and it will create the /dev/ht0 device for you so you can use the drive.

>    Can someone tell me what the standard way of addressing such a
> device is; and perhaps give me a tutorial on using MAKEDEV to create
> this device (I thought a MAKEDEV -v update would do the trick).
> Thanks much in advance.

/dev/MAKEDEV is a tool which creates devices in the /dev directory.  You
normally make the ones you need and ignore the ones you don't.

Regards,
Bernt.

--
Bernt T. Hansen    - Norang Consulting Incorporated ---  bernt@shaw.wave.ca
Computer Systems/  - 235 Bellamy Road N., Scarborough -  phone: (416)431-6216