Re: exim defering local deliveries

What are the permissions on /var/spool/mail and /var/spool/mail/<user>?
I think Debian's exim wants the mail files writeable by the mail user. It
is also possible that there are two exim processes trying to write mail to
the mailbox at the same time so one gets deferred.  Exim can have multiple
simultanious delivery attempts happening.

On Sat, 30 May 1998, Steve Lamb wrote:

>     I just replaced sendmail with exim.  So far everything is working great
> except exim is defering local deliveries.  An example from the log file:
>
> 1998-05-30 01:56:49 0yfhRX-0006Ky-00 <= morpheus@calweb.com H=localhost
> (morpheus) [127.0.0.1] U=morpheus P=smtp S=296
> 1998-05-30 01:56:49 0yfhRX-0006Ky-00 == morpheus@teleute.dyn.ml.org
> T=local_delivery defer (-1): appendfile transport process returned non-zero
> status 0x0100: exit code 1
> 1998-05-30 01:56:49 0yfhRX-0006Ky-00 Frozen
>
>     If I force it to deliver (exim -M) it works fine.  Also after an hour or
> two on its own it will deliver the mail.  I appear to have everything set up
> correctly so I am at a loss as to where to look.  I'm sure this is a FAQ but
> it doesn't seem that the exim home page has a FAQ up yet.  :/
>

> --
>              Steve C. Lamb             | Opinions expressed by me are not my
>     http://www.calweb.com/~morpheus    | employer's.  They hired me for my
>              ICQ: 5107343              | skills and labor, not my opinions!

George Bonser

Microsoft! Which end of the stick do you want today?