exim defering local deliveries

    I just replaced sendmail with exim.  So far everything is working great
except exim is defering local deliveries.  An example from the log file:

1998-05-30 01:56:49 0yfhRX-0006Ky-00 <= morpheus@calweb.com H=localhost
(morpheus) [127.0.0.1] U=morpheus P=smtp S=296
1998-05-30 01:56:49 0yfhRX-0006Ky-00 == morpheus@teleute.dyn.ml.org
T=local_delivery defer (-1): appendfile transport process returned non-zero
status 0x0100: exit code 1
1998-05-30 01:56:49 0yfhRX-0006Ky-00 Frozen

    If I force it to deliver (exim -M) it works fine.  Also after an hour or
two on its own it will deliver the mail.  I appear to have everything set up
correctly so I am at a loss as to where to look.  I'm sure this is a FAQ but
it doesn't seem that the exim home page has a FAQ up yet.  :/

--
             Steve C. Lamb             | Opinions expressed by me are not my
    http://www.calweb.com/~morpheus    | employer's.  They hired me for my