LJ review of RedHat 5.0 mentions Debian.

Ashok Gopalakrishnan wrote:

> Linux Journal June 98 has an article on a user interface for starting and
> stopping PPP connections. The entire article is on line as also the scripts
> that you need to set up your system.

In the same issue, there's a review of Red Hat

 http://www.ssc.com/lj/previous/2671.html

that says:

``The UNIX world needs a software installer of the caliber of the Windows
  95/NT Installshield. RPM is a good, even great start, but Debian Linux's
  installer beats the RPM/GLINT combination for both interactivity and ease
  of use. An RPM/GLINT release combining the best features of RPM and Debian
  would be a good thing.''

BTW, it also says:

``Favorite Features

  The sendmail featured in this release has improved anti-spam protection. No
  longer is it possible for a random spammer to use your host as an unwitting
  e-mail relay.''

I wish we had that.  My Debian 1.3 box was used a SPAM relay a few months
ago, causing quite a stir with the informatics people here (who said I was
using an un-authorized OS).  I admit that I (1) use sendmail and (2) had
already edited /etc/mail/sendmail.cf a bit after Debian installation.  But I
don't think that the Debian version did anything about this issue.  I
patched my /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file myself.
--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist          <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Maurice Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada