pon: When am I connected

Linux Journal June 98 has an article on a user interface for starting and
stopping PPP connections. The entire article is on line as also the scripts
that you need to set up your system.

The author has described his Slackware configuration (3.4, I think). It was
not that difficult to set it up under Debian 1.3.1.

The UI is implemented as Wish scripts. The article describes how to create a
button for your desktop under fvwm95. (Works for fvwm2 also).
Clicking on the button will open a window which shows what is
happenning with your PPP connection. When the connection is successfully
established, the window collapses to the button. You see a clock that
tells you the up time of your connection. A Quit
button is also seen, which when pressed will disconnect.

I am able to run this as a general user.

Point to http://www.ssc.com/lj/previous and look for PPPui: A Friendly GUI for
PPP, by Nathan Myers.

Ashok
agopalak@ee.tamu.edu