Re: LJ review of RedHat 5.0 mentions Debian.

On Fri, 29 May 1998, Peter S Galbraith wrote:

>   The sendmail featured in this release has improved anti-spam protection. No
>   longer is it possible for a random spammer to use your host as an unwitting
>   e-mail relay.''
>
> I wish we had that.  My Debian 1.3 box was used a SPAM relay a few months
> ago, causing quite a stir with the informatics people here (who said I was
> using an un-authorized OS).  I admit that I (1) use sendmail and (2) had
> already edited /etc/mail/sendmail.cf a bit after Debian installation.  But I
> don't think that the Debian version did anything about this issue.  I
> patched my /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file myself.

The version of sendmail in hamm (8.8.8) includes m4 rulesets that can be
used to create a sendmail.cf that is anti-spam and anti-relay.  They are
unfortunatly not enabled by default, but are reasonably easy to add.

Sendmail 8.9.0, which is available in slink disables relaying by default.
It isn't well enough tested to include in hamm however.

--
Scott K. Ellis <storm@gate.net>                 http://www.gate.net/~storm/