Re: Cut and paste question

On Thu, 28 May 1998, Tim O'Brien wrote:
>I've been using Debian for quite a while now, and was wondering what sort
>of support Linux/X has for cut and paste? Sure, there's the stuff with
>GPM where things can be cut and pasted, but it's not very universal.
>
>Though I hate to admit it, this is one of the (very) few places where
>Windoze shines.. You can cut text from most any application and paste it
>into most any other app. Is such functionality available for Linux? If so,
>I'd really like to learn to use it more extensively.
>
>Thanks,
>Tim O'Brien
>

>--

you probably want to have a look at KDE, the K desktop environment.
KDE is an awesome-looking window-manager, but in addition to that it features
drag and drop, cut and paste, mime-types,etc. You can get the packages at
www.kde.org, its mirrors and on the Debian servers. I'll put up some screenshots
on my webpage to give you an idea. (ishmael.ml.org/~zander/screens.htm - will be
up May29,maybe earlier)

The latest stable release is KDE Beta4 - it is based on libc6, so you'd better
upgrade to hamm (if you didn't already) - if you didn't I'd suggest getting the
packages from a Debian web-site (www.debian.org), to prevent dependency issues.

You need the following:

kdeadmin	optional
kdemultimedia	optional
kdebase 	required
kdenetwork	optional
kdegames  	optional	(fun, that's all)
kdesupport	required ?
kdegraphics 	optional
kdeutils		optional
kdelibs		required

Have fun.
- --
Stone's Law:
	One man's "simple" is another man's "huh?"
- --
				 Christian Zander
				  *  web:  ishmael.ml.org/~zander
				  *  email:      czander@okay.net